View Single Post
Old 07-21-20, 04:22 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
That's interesting. I do like to brake from the hoods, even when I'm using brake systems that weren't designed for it. I've got short fingers and sometimes have a hard time reaching the lever from the drops. Using Weinmann levers with Weinmann centerpulls and old pads on my Raleigh, I found this to be less than satisfactory. When I replaced the brakes with dual pivot Tektros, it went much better. I'm probably still going to switch to modern Tektro-clone levers for comfort.
I'm sure the dual pivots would make them stronger from the hoods. Going to a higher MA caliper is going to improve the braking power to effort ratio. FWIW I use modern TRP RRL levers with the Gran Compe 610 repops on my touring bike, and they are quite satisfactory. I'd rate them subjectively about the same as modern TRP dual pivots and modern Ultegra brifters on my 'modern' bike, plus I don't have to fiddle with the cable adjuster to get the wheel out. I'd recommend the TRP levers if you're braking from the hoods mostly, not just for comfort, but for safety. They are going to be harder for your hands to bounce out of than an old Weinmann brake lever, and they are designed to be used from the hood position.

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Does anyone else remember when they found out that no, center-pull brakes were not always better than side-pulls.
Yeah, I think it was when is saw my first Italian racing bike in a shop in the late 70s. It was white. It cost over $1000 (!!!!). I think it was a Pogliaghi. I had never seen anything like it. I did think, "Why does it have side pull brakes?"

Center pull brakes always were better than the side pulls that came on Huffys, All Pros, Royce Unions, and the like. That's what I knew.