Old 06-11-21, 06:15 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Progress

Yesterday morning I remembered to charge the battery for the portable Dremel tool. Last night I spent a few minutes working with a skinny cutting bit to get closer in to the spindle. I then broke out a large cold chisel and a 2 lb hammer, took a deep breath, whacked - and the crank arm popped right off. Yay!

It takes a village (idiot) ....

After that I spent a few minutes cleaning the worst of the grime off the frameset with strip of an old sheet and Meguiar's cutting polish. There is a lot more rust than I initially thought, but I think all will be okay.

This morning I found I couldn't get the headset locknut to budge, so I liberally soaked it with Liquid Wrench - we'll see what that does for us. Then I attacked the BB. The cups are in good shape, the bearings acceptable, and the spindle will do for now, but there are some pits. I remind myself that this is the Clunker Challenge, and perhaps afterwards I'll pop in another spindle, or perhaps even a whole cartridge unit. It all went back together smoothly with fresh grease.

Finally, I remembered to take a photo for the great serial number collection -

1987 for the 1988 model year?

My side challenge - can I get this bike assembled and shaken down in time to take it with me on the family beach vacation next Saturday?