Old 01-11-21, 06:16 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTD
Agree with this. I don't know about planning an entire ride around a KOM effort, but even if so I don't see how that's a bad thing if that's what you're in to. For sure anything of "value" as far as segments go around here isn't just gonna fall into your lap. I'm in Utah, lots of big time climbs, we also have (or had) the Tour of Utah and plenty of pro's train here so if someone wants to get after a competitive KOM it's not gonna happen by accident. Leaderboards are pretty stacked but I'm pretty sure that's the idea of a KOM or FKT for the non-Strava crowd. Nobody in this thread is hating on Strava, but when people do it's kinda silly. You don't have to like what someone else likes, if a dude is into KOM hunting and he's strong enough to go get them, get after it! This is a hobby that we do for fun!
We had a guy that was famous for getting KOMs. He died running a stop sign on a residential street at about 35 mph. Considering that was on a segment he did not have, you can draw conclusions.

I personally don't consider KOMs on descents or ones that require you to run signs or lights legitimate, just out of the principal of safety. That eliminates probably 80% of ours right there.

Everyone around here know what the legit KOMs are, I'm sure every cycling town does.

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
How else do you get a KOM?

Genuinely curious. I don't even live in a heavily populated area, but nearly every single KOM worth mentioning is held by a pretty good Cat 1 or 2 (with a select few held by a former TdF jersey wearer). There aren't many KOMs you can just roll through in the middle of a workout and get a crown around here, and again, I'm talking segments with only 200-300 users. They all have to be planned and targeted.
Our team basically does timed pulls. They go up in 2-3 people with the KOM chaser at the back. Sometimes I'd be at the front but usually I'd be a mile or 2 up the road for a fresh pull. We broke one of Phil Gaimon's KOMs that way...well we got a section of it but we didn't get full climb the up 38.

A lot of these KOMs are essentially on training rides of semi pros (Phil Gaimon has a boatload), or during the Redlands Classic Race.

Last edited by furiousferret; 01-11-21 at 06:22 PM.
Likes For furiousferret: