View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 02:55 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
have any experience with Vitt Zaf pros? Probably would provide a smoother feel with about the same durability as the G non speeds.
No. Never ocurred to me that the much cheaper tire might have as good a ride. (Just went to the Vittoria website. Zaffino - "... standard in performance training bike tires ...". Corsa "... race day choice of pros ..." Roughly what I would have said about decent cotton sewups I trained and club raced on and the Clement Criterium Setas (except! the Corsa Gs don't care if they get wet!)

Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
The real question is whether the $5 tire boot works better than the $1 tire boot.
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
The most successful tire boot I ever used was a $5 bill (smallest I had at the time.

The time I used a $1 bill was like the time I used an energy bar wrapper -- I shortly turned into a pedestrian.

YMMV
I don't find I get what I pay for with US Treasury boots. What I do find is that the cheap ones come with pre-worn sidewalls. (Been folded and stuffed into wallets a few too many times.) Century notes are far better in that regard but stepping up to carry the required five can be onerous.
Likes For 79pmooney: