View Single Post
Old 06-25-21, 08:00 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your “NO” is far too hard. A weld at the crack would hold up for a while but the problem isn’t the weld but the lack of annealing the frame afterwards. It could be welded to get you down the road but it’s not a long term fix.

As for the break being caused by the seatpost not being inserted far enough, that’s a possibility but I broke a frame in a similar place because I was using a very long set back seatpost. The post was inserted far enough into the frame but the setback cause too much stress above the frame junction. The seat stays on the bike came in a lot lower than this frame, however.

A competent welder should cause any kind of deformation of the tube when welding. Heat transfer for MIG welding is relatively localized.

Just to be clear, I probably wouldn’t try to fix the frame for years of riding but as a short term fix, it’s viable. It’s probably not worth the cost of the fix, however. Frames are fairly cheap.
I've seen this type of failure quite a few times, and seen a handful of repair attempts. Any welded repair will not likely finish the ride home from the welding shop.