View Single Post
Old 04-08-20, 06:59 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Saw everything from a disc trucker with 45mm tires to 4 in. fatbikes. I think I could do it on my Atlantis if I put 26 in. wheels and 2.25 tires. Just might have to walk it more places.
I like the Jones but the upright position is bad in headwinds.

Its not really technical so a wide variety of bikes would suffice.
Re wide variety of bikes, that certainly jives with what I've read over the years.
re bars, that's why I settled on slightly flared drops for my troll as it suited the trips I've done with it, including dirt and a lot of rough roads---and boy i appreciated the easy to use drops (high headtube and long steerer, shallow drops) with absolutely wicked gusty and strong headwinds in numerous places I've ridden through, all day affairs.
and on nice fast paved downhills too.

but have Jones bars waiting to one day change the setup, have shifters etc so will one day play with it.

Ps, re pressures, on long trips I entertain myself with checking and trying out different pressures to get a feel for what pressures work and feel better. Kinda fun for me and I have a small light gauge so like to experiment. Got into the habit with all my commuting on different bikes with different tires throughout the year, and we have notorious bad road surfaces in this city, so just right pressures makes a real comfort difference with no speed difference.

Last edited by djb; 04-08-20 at 07:08 AM.