Old 09-02-20, 10:52 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I never could get my Suntour V-GT to shift reliably with 7 speed indexed shifters. On 5 rides with a Microshift R47, every shift has been perfect. https://www.microshift.com/en/product/rd-r47-rd-r47s/
I use to have Suntour V-Gt and it shifted pretty darn good for friction, in fact back in the day when consumer reports tested a bunch of other brands of derailleurs, the cheap VGt beat all of them in shifting performance.

Then later I moved on to Suntour Superbe, and what I thought was good shifting turned into amazingly fast and smooth shifting even while the pedals were apply a lot pressure while climbing a grade.

I know, from owning SIS, that Suntour Superbe is equally as fast as SIS, and the VGT is pretty darn close. Friction shifting is an art, and it takes practice, but once you get it down it's very fast especially the Suntour stuff. One of my bikes has Suntour ARX and it's not as good as the old VGt was and obviously no match for Superbe. I am seriously thinking about removing the ARX and put my spare Superbe on the bike. Not sure what went wrong with ARX because Suntour had the best derailleurs, but they did make a few bad ones.