Thread: 2nd wheelset?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-21, 09:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Gryffin123
I think I could spend $500-$600. Trouble is that the specs I need are pretty limiting. The current wheelset is QR100/QR135, with 6-bolt disc brakes and an 11-speed Shimano cassette. Most of the decent inexpensive wheelsets I’m finding are 100/142 thru axle (including the Shimano GRX). I’ve found a couple with the hubs I need, but the brakes are set up for CL. I’m assuming that would result in having to do some tinkering when I switch wheels.

I’m also not opposed to trying a different tire- sounds like going wider on slicker tires might be a happier compromise. And maybe set them up tubeless?
go to prowheelbuilder.com or call them. they have bitex disc hubs in QR and you can pair them to a few different rims with butted spokes and brass nipples for about $450.
other hubs also can convert from QR to TA, but Ive never kept up on all the ones that can or cant.