View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 06:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Care to further elaborate on how it get's so heavy? Because my primary gravel rig has a wheel/tire combo very similar to that and it is 9kg dry, including pedals and cages. The original wheelset (22mm wide), with the same tires, weighed 1.2kg more. Granted it has a carbon frame, but even if it was made of steel, I can't see adding on 5+ more pounds to the current build. Or is this frame a boat anchor? What am I missing?
My Soma, like a lot of road racing geometry frames, has 40cm long chainstays, my gravel bike (and others) have 42.5 or so, so right there you've got some increased frame weight,. My wheels are old school narrower 19mm wide rim brake rims, my gravel rims are 25mm, more metal, more weight. 28mm slick road tire is going to be lighter than a semi-knobby 43mmm tire. Tubes are heavier as well. It all adds up, maybe not 5 lbs, but I didn't say that, I said maybe 3 lbs to 25 + or so,