Old 08-25-04, 11:48 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Trek 5200 road bike most of the time, and a Specialized Stumpjumper for the trails.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Niacin (for cholesterol), folic acid, vit E, C, calcium, B-12, fish oil, selenium, and a small aspirin.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Not much...I'm in much better shape now than when I was 35 (and an overweight smoker). This year I focused on getting my weight down - it was OK before, but now I'm down 10 lbs, at my lowest weight in at least the last 15 years (6' 172 lbs), and can climb much better as a result.

FWIW, I'm 51 years old. At my 50th birthday party someone said something about me being "over the hill". One of my biking buddies chimed in and said, "Yeah, he's always over the hill before the rest of us". It made my day!

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Rode a lot when I was a teenager, got out of it until I turned 40, been on the bike(s) ever since.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

At least one week-long tour each year - Bicycle Tour of Colorado 3 times, OATBRAN (across Nevada), Oregon Coast, San Francisco to LA with the AIDS ride, etc. Plus local centuries and rides that I lead for my club, and the occasional race (I won 2 gold medals at the local Senior Games time trial last year).

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Average 3 times per week, shoot for 4000 miles per year (probably average around 3600).

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Weight lifting in the fall and winter, downhill skiing in the winter. Running...almost never.