View Single Post
Old 06-24-20, 05:32 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Well, after the early 1970s, nothing. These days only the older steeds interest me. That said, from each decade (50s, 60s and 70s) my suggestion for most collectible would be a top dog Cinelli. I have never owned one, though, so cannot comment on how good they really are.

I would warn that seeking a specific something from a specific sometime might prove frustrating. In my case, I hunt and what I find is, way more often than not, not what I was looking for. An example would be a late sixties Raleigh Carlton. Not high end but wonderfully appealing, thanks in part, a big part, to the chrome plated head tube lugs. Though entry level, it will be fun to build and ride this bike but it is not anything special. Just a cool looking old bike...

Poor picture of the chrome lugs but it was the lug work that sold me on this bike that I got for free...

For me, my personal choices these days are the older steeds and ones that sport chrome plated socks, front and back, and chrome plated head tube lugs... I even like, really like, all chrome plated bikes, such as this entry level Torpado Luxe and check out the lug work...

1950s - Rabeneick 120d which I happen to have...

1964 Torpado Professional which I happen to have...

And a 1973 Peugeot PX10 0f which I have had two but none now. I might add that the Peugeot PX10 from the fifties, sixties and seventies is something special and, perhaps, iconic in nature...

As for the eighties???

There is a bit of a point here. Don't restrict your search. Doing so might mean that you miss out on something really really cool. That is what I have learned after many years of collecting and sharing of vintage road bicycles.