Old 09-06-19, 03:23 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
You're being obtuse. Obviously you're within your rights to go 20mph (not sure where you came up with the idea he suggested otherwise), but you would also be going significantly under the posted speed limit, and a vehicle driver would have every right to "squeeze" around you, (within reason, obviously). As a cyclist, you're PART of traffic, you don't own the road and have a perpetual,universal right-of-way. If I realize I'm holding up a string of vehicles, or even a single big truck, I routinely pull over and wave them around.
I'm obviously not obligated to do this, it's just common courtesy IMO, with an added bonus (hopefully) of instilling some positive sentiment towards cyclists.
No, I don't own the road, and yes. As a cyclist, I am part of the traffic.. But state law says I may 'Use The Full Lane'. There are signs posted all over the county saying this.

Also, As I previously mentioned, drivers' around here. Behave like cyclists' are in their way. But also, that they had to get something done, yesterday. Sort of like, to drive in this region. You have to be qualified in, committing road rage daily.

Five years ago. I was in a merge lane. When a driver behind me. Suddenly went from the merge lane, to the outside thru lane. Then back into the merge. He did it so fast that, when he suddenly realized the merge lane was ending. He spun out into the thru lane traffic. Coming to a rest, facing the opposite direction in, the inside lane. That was on a six-lane divided arterial. All because he did not want me in front of him.

I am not going to risk, being in their blind spot. When they want squeeze by me.