View Single Post
Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
...Also, a rear-view mirror is a lot more useful than a rear facing camera, although not nearly as illustrative after the fact. I doubt that car would have hit me. I would have bailed with about 2 seconds to spare. Been there, done that.
Perhaps, @JoeyBike
Originally Posted by CliffordK
…Rumbles? If I heard them 50 feet behind myself, they would be a strong wake-up.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
If the closing speed is 50 mph, that gives you 0.68 seconds to get out of the way.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
...Your cat-like reflexes are much better than mine...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:...

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to [such] a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.
At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?