Old 07-21-21, 06:08 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I waxed my chain for the first time yesterday and installed it today, and had to re-index my rear derailleur because the chain would not shift from the 3rd to the 4th physically largest cog. I am hoping that this is a one time event and not something I would have to do every time I install a freshly waxed chain.

The chain is a Shimano Ultegra 11 speed chain, with around 300 miles on the factory grease, then mild cleaning with Dawn dish detergent and a Sonicare toothbrush, then rinsed, dried, lubed with Rock N Roll Extreme, and ridden for about 100 miles, all in absolutely dry conditions. The chain (including the quick link) was then cleaned by immersion and shaking in acetone 4 times, including an immersion overnight, and dipped into melted Gulf paraffin wax at 210 *F in a covered Crock Pot on low setting, swished a few times during the first 30 minutes to release all air bubbles. The chain stayed in the Crock Pot for over 2 hours, and chain was measured at 210 *F to confirm that it has reached the equilibrium temperature. The chain was swished a couple more times, then the Crock Pot was turned off and the chain was removed after about 10 minutes and hung to drip; I did not wipe the chain as I was removing it from the wax. The chain was stiff with wax so I ran it around a breaker bar to loosen it and shed the biggest wax chunks prior to installing it onto the bike.

Am I doing something wrong? Thank you.
Why are you leaving the chain in the wax for two hours? I have 3 chains for each of two bikes so wax 5 or 6 chains at a time. I hook the chain with a bent coat hanger, immerse it in the wax while swishing it around a little, wait for the bubbles to stop and pull the chain out. I wipe the chain with a shop towel while pulling it out and the hang it to dry. I don’t know about acetone, I just use mineral spirits for the initial cleaning. A little oil residue on the chain will dissolve in the hot wax so no need to have it perfectly clean.