View Single Post
Old 10-08-21, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I have a Hozan C-700 spoke threader. I have had done this before when I had an overabundance of spokes that are close to the right length and I’m using double walled rims. It works but you should be careful about how much more you thread the spokes. The 2.0mm portion of DT butted spokes is short. Adding 2 to 5mm of thread is okay but anymore than that starts to get to the where the spoke necks down.

That said, the spoke threader is currently going for $180. I’ve had mine for 30+ years and have used it a few times. I’m not sure I ever got that much value out of it for what it cost. Yes, DT Alpine III are expensive but not that expensive. They are even cheaper if you buy them from https://www.rosebikes.com/search?q=alpine+iii]Rose Bikes[/url]. Even with shipping they are economical.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!