View Single Post
Old 03-08-21, 08:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by surlylhtfan
It's more the act of knowing I'm just out there for 2 days, rather than anything having to do with my home state. I don't feel like I'd get an experience with only 200 miles of riding. ....
Not every mile has to have a purpose. You want to go bike touring, but you would consider a 2 day trip to be a waste of time, I suspect that you will not enjoy bike touring.

I have been too sedentary this past winter, chose not to go to the gym for the past year due to covid concerns. I have an indoor trainer setup but there are too many distractions around home so it did not get much use. So, today temp was in the 50s (F), light wind, perfect time for an exercise ride. (I am retired, employment not part of my schedule.) So, decided to do a 70 mile exercise ride. But, had to turn around when I discovered that a bike trail I planned to ride was still snow covered. Thus my exercise ride was only 51 miles today. I did not get the amount of exercise that I planned, but it was still a good amount of exercise, it was not a wasted day.

A friend of mine wanted to do another cross country trip with ACA four years ago. He had changed the shifters on his bike, new dynohub wheel, new tent, wanted to do a five day shakedown test of his equipment. And I had just built up my Lynskey, so I had a light touring bike that needed a test. Five days sounded good enough.

If you would consider a two day tour to find out what bike touring is like a waste of time, you certainly would consider our five day trip to test equipment a waste of time to. But we both had a good time, so it was worth it.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-08-21 at 09:12 PM.