View Single Post
Old 06-01-22, 05:21 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Ky
I'm an odd bird of sorts. 64 yo widower and very fortunate in many ways. My health is, according to my pcp, surprisingly good considering my history of poor diet and smoking. I met the covid thing head on. When it hit I had 4 comorbidities. Obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, and copd (which quitting smoking allowed me to not need to reach for my inhaler).
15 months ago I weighed 269 lbs, was prescribed a 4th blood pressure med, and doc talked to me about insulin. Also told me I wouldn't fare well if I caught covid. a1c was ~ 6.5 iirc. So I told him to give me 3 months.

Fast forward to March 3rd of this year, I weighed 176, have my blood pressure in the low normal range for the first time in decades, and my a1c was 5.2. Lower than docs lol. He took me off all but 1 bp med and told me I could stop taking metformin. This morning I weighed 166. Two more pounds and I'm out of the overweight range.

So yes, in a way I turned covid into a positive thing. Made me do my research and beat 3 of 4 comorbidities. Whole foods, exercise, and tossing the smokes. And meticulous study and application of glycemic index and glycemic load of foods. If it raises my blood glucose over 125, I stop eating it. Works.

I was struggling to lose my visceral fat, so I bought a bike. Now it's melting away. I've gone from size 48 pants and 3X shirts to 32 pants and medium shirts. Did it safe too. Lost a safe rate of less than two pounds a week. Oh, forgot to mention my cholesterol and triglycerides were sky high when I started. Now both are normal range.

Doc told me I don't need to lose more weight but my goal is to fit into size 30 pants. Should make it by July 4th easily.

I feel fantastic and my 1 hr rides are my new fave exercise.
125 is not that high.

Do you limit the total grams of carbs per day?

I was able to keep my blood sugar down only by being on a ketogenic diet with 50-100 grams max per day of carbs and only low GI ones. If I rode a lot, I would eat upwards of 100 grams of carbs but if not riding, I kept it to 50 grams. I only lost 64 pounds in several months and 82 lbs total over a year.....I guess close to 10 years ago. I need to drop a few now.

How many times per day to you measure sugar? The finger sticks are a pain. Or, did you just learn what foods not to eat?