View Single Post
Old 06-01-22, 08:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Ky
Yes, 125 is kind of strict/extreme. My doctor said as much, but told me it was fine if I wanted to run with it. It works, and that's all I care about.

As far as net carbs I shoot for 60-70 grams a day. I'm not that strict on it though. I'm sure some days I may wind up eating more. I've never noticed any signs of ketosis. My doctor said I'm not a good candidate for a Keto diet so I just said ok without asking why. My body tells me if I'm not getting enough carbs and my scale tells me if I'm getting too many lol.

My glucose routine was checking my fasting number in the morning, which at first was way too high. Talking 130 avg. Also my daily avg was in the 120's. I was waking every morning with my toes numb and tingling.

I started eating foods individually and checking my blood glucose before and after I ate them. About a half hour before I ate them I would take 500 mg of metformin with at least 8 oz of water. They were non-extended release so I split them in 4's so they would dissolve faster. Then I'd check my bg after I ate the food. Usually around 45 minutes to and hour and a half after I ate. Reading over 125-128 ? That food went on the no eat list.

I was checking my bg after before and after every meal for months. Even if I ate a few berries for a snack. My fingers never got sore because I just used a different finger forever reading.

So yes, my method identified what foods I could eat and not eat and the past 5 months or so, most days I just checked my fasting bg. And if I feel a little tired I'll check to make sure it's not too low. For me, it seems 82-83 is always the number when I'm feeling sluggish.
​​​​​

My numbness in my toes didn't take long to subside after I started eating right and nowadays my fasting bg is in the 90's. Daily avg is 100 or less.

One thing I tried was taking Berberine with my metaformin. After a couple of days doing so My bg numbers went down even on low glycemic load meals. I was taking 500 mg of metformin three times a day. The past week I've been taking only 250 mg of metformin three times a day and a berberine capsule with the metaformin if I eat a higher carb food like black beans. So far so good. I think beginning today I will taper off the metaformin and continue to take the berberine twice a day.

My staple foods : blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, wild caught Alaskan pink salmon, dark chocolate 88% cocoa, natural peanut butter with no salt or sugar added, leafy green veggies, chicken breast, black beans, quinoa, lentils, boiled eggs, an Atkins shake one or two a day, brussel sprouts, broccoli, whole husk psyllium two or three times a day, Kool-Aid sweetened with erythritol, three or four cups of coffee a day, spinach, salad with tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, celery, with shredded cheese thrown in occasionally. I also eat edamame pasta and black bean spaghetti. I put a minimal amount of olive oil on the pasta and some Parmesan Romano cheese. I drink quite a bit of unsweetened almond milk. Beet juice, just a around 12 oz a week, ~ a couple of ounces a day. Low sodium veggie juice, just a swing or two 3-4 time a day. And water of course.

Good luck on shedding a few pounds. If you are like me, riding makes it easier. My visceral fat is stubborn but riding is chopping it away. Finally.
Thank you for sharing those details.

My problem is my italian wife who loves pasta, potatoes and pizza or my lack of will.

I used to start the day with a double espresso and coconut oil before going to work. Rarely ate breakfast but if I did it was eggs. The client company (big Pharma) had an unbelievable cafeteria and I would make a mixed vegetable salad out of either arugula or spinach as a foundation. No snacks. Dinner would be a protein, salad, and either a vegetable or maybe a sweet potato. All of my riding was pretty slow and easy but lots of miles. I lost 5 pounds of fat in a good week. I don't need to go so drastic now. I am riding 15 hours a week and the weight is not coming down, so, I have to try something and I like your approach. I have a couple meters, just need to buy the strips and probably a battery. Maybe I am starting to get diabetes, my feet tingle.
Likes For GhostRider62: