Old 08-31-21, 06:03 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Mismatched Threaded Headset: Acceptable?

I have a track frame with a Dura-Ace HP-7410 headset installed with an undrilled track fork which has a 27.0mm crown race.

I have a Tange track fork drilled for a rim brake which I wish to install into the aforementioned frame, though it has a 26.4 crown race.

I have a Hatta Vesta headset which has the appropriate fittings for a 26.4mm crown race.

My idea is to leave the upper section of the HP-7410 installed, yet remove the lower race from the frame, install the lower Vesta interface into the frame, bang on the Vesta crown race to the drilled fork, and tighten it all up...

Is there a potential problem which I am neglecting to foresee?

Thanks so much for any help and advice—the gratitude is overflowing and the appreciation blooms like the flowers in spring

Edit: I should add that the reason I am trying to work this out is that it is my hope to use this frame with both its original fork and the drilled fork interchangeably... I love riding brakeless keirin frames on sunny days, but I have a special opportunity here to create a foul-weather track bike with brakes and would love to make it as easy as possible to switch between frontends as the season permits. (The HP-7410 has a sealed-bearing design and the Hatta Vesta uses a rubber o-ring to seal the bearing interface from water ingress.)

Last edited by ethet; 08-31-21 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Additional Context