View Single Post
Old 10-17-14, 10:18 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Training for first double century

For the past few summers I have spent a week or two in Wuxi China, which is a city near Shanghai and situated besides Lake Tai (Taihu), China's 3rd largest lake. Next summer I am planning to circum-navigate the lake by bike, which is roughly 200 miles. The farthest distance I have logged on bike has been about 60 miles, so I've got a bit of training to do. Ideally I would like to start and finish while the sun is out, giving me about 14 hrs of daylight to work with in August. I will be riding on a converted 20" wheel folder (Bike Friday Pocket Llama) which has road bars and bar end shifters.

I would like any advice on planning, training, to day of preparations. August can get fairly hot and humid in Wuxi. In 2013, it was 105F everyday I was there for 10 days, this year, it was mild at 80F, but about 90% humidity. I only plan to ride if the temps are below 90F. Winters in NJ will most likely lead to indoor cycling on a trainer but not on the BF Llama. When I do road riding, I only spend about 25% of my time on the Llama, should I increase the frequency? The other times on the road, I will use anything from a touring bike (Bruce Gordon), carbon/aluminum road bikes to classic steel bikes.

I have two young kids, so training time outside will be limited, I can spin indoors for 2-3 hrs max on weekdays and 4-6 hrs one day on the weekends outside. Every two to 3 weeks, I could likely stretch the weekend ride to a full day and get in longer rides over 100 miles. With those limitations will I get enough mileage in to attempt the distance. Also the heat and humidity concerns me, we don't get close to that humid or heat index in NJ.