genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by hose
Light and more lights. Reflective vest. Reflective helmet. Reflective pedals. Also it sucks lmao.
Yup, I used to commute in an area that had some bike lanes and lots of fast roads... the slowest speed limits were 35MPH, but these were along car parked lined streets, so I took the lane in those areas. Most of the speed limits were in the 45-55 MPH zone, and there were BL in most of those areas (those BL have actually been enlarged with buffer zones... but long after I left the area). I even rode on the 65MPH Interstate, along the shoulder, until I was at either at on or off ramps... and then, I took the lane.

I dressed in bright clothing, of various colors, had a steady bright tail light along with high and low blinkers and a steady strong headlight. I basically went with the "alien mothership" lighting model, and distracting clothing... including some small bright "rags" that hung from my panniers. This was my daily commute. My mentality was try to be seen, but act as if motorists likely did not see me. I signaled, I waved, I yelled and I used a horn. I did all that I could to make other road users aware of me, and then I rode how I wanted to, in as safe a manner as the road design would allow.

I did not ride sidewalks. But I took advantage of lanes, paths and shortcuts where available. And at all times... I WATCHED THE OTHER TRAFFIC. I also had a darn good mirror.

Now, in my mid '60s, I doubt I could ride that alert and aware and react as quickly as I did for those 35+ years of bike commuting. YMMV.