Thread: 2022 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 06-02-22, 11:44 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
I spent a solid 4 hours this evening getting prepped for the SIR 600k this weekend. I'm not complaining... it's a labor of love... but still. I had to break the route into 4 segments because it had too many points for my GPS unit. I pulled the RWGPS cue sheet into Google Sheets and tweaked on it until I had things the way I like. Then printed out full cue sheets, plus another page of stops with distances and times. This page I tape to a water bottle for quick reference. I have a GPS route from the car park to Fauntleroy ferry terminal at the start, another from the finish hotel to the Bainbridge Island ferry terminal, and another from the Seattle ferry terminal back to my car. Also downloaded the RWGPS route to my phone as backup backup. I have my drop bag packed, finish bag packed, and Friday night hotel bag packed. Since I'm probably getting up before 4 Saturday, I have breakfast in my hotel bag. Also food in my drop bag for both evening and morning at the overnight.

Forecast is high 43, low about 40, and rain. Lots of rain. One prediction was for "a month's worth of rain this weekend." 40F and rain. Joy. I have my rain legs, rain jacket, rain gloves, helmet cover, brimmed hat, shoe covers. Wool jersey, wool base layer, wool socks, leg warmers. Actually I'm packing both my shakedry Gore rain jacket, and my heavy duty Showers Pass rain jacket, for a Saturday morning decision. There really is no point in the shakedry jacket if I'm never going to take it off, and the Showers Pass jacket provides substantially more warmth.

This is where #thatsrando is appropriate, as if somehow that makes this not insane.
Likes For downtube42: