View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 03:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Very helpful. Already pencilling in DEET and head nets. Looking forward to the food, especially the seafood which is rare, or nonexistent here in Vermont.
I mostly used Picaridin as repellant, but I had a tiny bottle of 100 percent Deet that I used one day in a Nova Scotia campground where the Picaridin did not really cut it. One day on PEI I saw a trail crew doing maintenance, I stopped at asked what they used for repellant. I assumed that they had all compared notes and decided what was best, but I was quite surprised when every single one had a different preference for repellant.

My jerseys are knit with large holes that the mosquitos can bite through. This was my last trip before I bought a spray bottle of Permethrin to spray my jerseys and knit socks. I have not bike toured since that trip, covid changed many of my plans so I have not had a chance yet to report on whether or not Permethrin works or not. But decades of reports by others suggest that it may be a useful addition to knit clothing for daytime touring in wooded areas where there is not enough wind to keep the bugs down when you stop.

I was camping, photo below, in the morning the mosquitos were waiting for me to open the netting door of my tent so they could come in for breakfast.

I live in Wisconsin about a hundred miles from the nearest of the Great Lakes. When I travel to a coastal area, Fish and Chips is my go to meal when touring and eating food cooked by others. I think on this meal that double fish was an option that I chose. My photo dates indicate this photo was taken on my second day on the island.

As soon as I was on the island, I stopped at a tourist info booth to get a paper road map that I was still studying.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: