Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Riding PBP 2023 un-officially, as a self-supported rider

I only want to ride PBP to experience the atmosphere along the route. So, is there any point in going through the hassle of officially registering for the event? I'm thinking it will be a lot nicer just to ride the route at the same time and not deal with doing qualifying events, registering, messing around at the start, queueing at controls, etc. etc.

I'm used to doing self-supported ultra-distance races (e.g., 3 x Transcontinental Race veteran), and I just did a hilly 1050 km event in 78 hours a couple of weeks ago (self-supported, so it doesn't help with PBP qualifying; I've never actually done an official brevet). I'm quite happy to sleep in my bivvy bag in the woods and buy food and drink at grocery stores and bakeries along the way.

The PBP roads aren't closed to regular traffic, so no-one can question my legal right to be there, but what about the moral right?

What do you think the reaction of other riders will be? I speak fluent French and native English, so I can explain my situation to most people who might ask.

I live in SW Switzerland and there are direct trains to Paris. So I'd do it properly by starting/finishing in the center of Paris and then I'd join/leave the PBP route 20-50 km from the official start. If any controls involve unnecessary detours I'd just skip those parts entirely, the other controls I'd just ride straight past without stopping. I'm sure my route would still be well over 1200 km.

I'm used to riding solo, so I wouldn't be looking to hook up with a group for any more than brief stretches and it wouldn't bother me to lose a group when they all stop at a control and I don't.

I can't see any reason not to do it this way. I can see LOTS of negative consequences of trying to do it officially and very few positive consequences for me. I'd even have the freedom to leave my aerobars on my bike to use when riding solo - what luxury!

I wouldn't be racing, just doing it for the challenge and to experience the atmosphere. I should be able to average 350 km per 24 hours on that type of terrain.

Last edited by Chris_W; 09-28-22 at 04:05 AM.