View Single Post
Old 10-17-22, 03:23 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Resurrecting the old thread...Interesting info above, thanks all for the information. I d like to share my experience with the lights plus need an advise.

Since battery lights now last a long time and give enough light to ride on the road I was trying to get rid of my long distance set up ( dynohub/lights) to save weigh and wiring that runs along the frame.

I had Fenix BC30 V2 that I lost this summer. I was not impressed with it, because when hitting larger bumps the light would turn off suddenly leaving me in a dark(usually on descends), also the remote switch did not work in cold weather(40deg.) The light was also heavy and bulky. Batteries would need to be removed to be charged, no USB port in the light. the light pattern was too wide(nice for off road), but not enough throw for fast road riding. Running time was impressive though. Anyway I do not regret loosing it.

Now I am experimenting with my newest set up. I m using the Lumintop B01 as a primary light and Fenix BC26R as a back up and to light up corners and read the signs or ride off road. B01 on medium is just enough riding alone on the road, if not raining or foggy. So far this set up works nicely enough and I suspect with a couple of extra 21700 batteries both lights will run for a long time (enough for PBP, I hope).

I also have a older dyno-hub wheel that I built back in 2010 with B&M IQ-X light and B&M IQ Premium lights. A couple of days ago I compared both systems back to back.
Dyno-hub with B&M IQ premium or IQ-X lights have better beam patterns and brighter than B01 and BC26R ran simultaneously "on" both on medium. I was hoping to use the battery lights for the upcoming PBP to get rid of the heavy dyno-hub wheel/wiring, but both battery lights give me less light than any of my dyno- hub lights
I am still planning to use battery lights on longer 300-600k brevets to qualify for PBP to see how they perform but after the recent tests I m leaning towards the dynohub and IQ premium light.( I prefer IQ Premium light pattern over the IQ-X, although IQ-X is brighter).

What set up would you recommend to ride for 3 nights at PBP, B01 and BC26R or a dyno-hub with one of the B&M lights? Decisions decisions …
Thanks.