View Single Post
Old 11-26-22, 08:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Clothing does attract pollenating insects, specifically bright floral colors and the color black. Face it, we tend to dress up like an all you can eat smorgasbord to a stinging insect. Also, they are attracted to strong perfume scents like perfume, after shave, deodorants, and scented laundry soaps.

Wearing muted colors and avoiding slathering and cladding yourself in odorants should reduce your chances of being stung.

Also, Benadryl cream may help ease the sting site reaction, but will not help you if you have a more serious reaction. Having Benadryl pills may help you there. In addition to the epi-pen, I keep a few pills in the saddle bag.
Yes,lowers the chances of being stung but increases the likelihood of becoming road kill. I'll take my chances being bright. That said, my foot did swell enough I couldn't put on a shoe for several days when I was a kid and stepped on bee. I don't think I've bend stung by them since and yellow jackets aren't end of the world for me. (I like bees and am completely unafraid of them. They visibly do not get excited around me. I've had them fly into my clothes and I've just guided them to freedom without issue. My ex on the other hand? She was terrified and the bees got very excited around her.)