View Single Post
Old 01-31-23, 02:38 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Aetho's is a pretty bike. If I ever sell my Ibis MX. I want to buy a crux. Since I don't ride my bike's naked ( I mean the bike with no bags, tools, co2, pump, inner tubes etc... ) and I don't have a SAG following I am going to buy the non S-works model. Before I spend 2k more to save 100 grams I either need to ride the bike naked or least spend more money on every thing I carry on the bike to make sure it's the lightest, bag, tools, inner tube, shoes, food etc.. I am sure I could save 400 grams cheaper if I optimized what I carry on my bike.
It's all relative. A full water bottle weighs like 500 grams. If you normally carry two bottles - go ride your bike with full bottles, then dump 'em out and you'll get a pretty good idea of what 1000g lighter bike would feel like.
In the case of the 114g difference between the Aethos and S-Works (assuming identical builds), pour a small amount out of one of your bottles. Hey, just saved $2200, right?

I've got jerseys that weigh in the neighborhood of 114g. Maybe I should just ride topless.

The problem with these arguments is that no matter what other weight savings items you change (yourself, your accessories, your groupsets, etc) - the S-Works Aethos is still going to be 114g lighter.

I'm not saying that 114g matters, but it's a real and measurable number that comes out of the frame itself, so it's unaffected by any other accessories or lightweight build kit parts that you might upgrade.