Old 07-22-21, 10:20 AM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Used bike value assessment? 2015 emonda sl8

I've read a couple threads via search but would like some help.

There is a somewhat local listing for a trek emonda sl8 with upgraded wheels. It's listed as a 2018 but that model doesn't exist that year. By looking at the archived specs with the color and non direct mount brakes it looks like a 2015. Seller has it listed as new never ridden. But the seat, stem and bar tape are different.

I haven't went to look at the bike in person cause it's at the far end of acceptable driving distance for purchases which is an hour drive one way.

It's listed at $3500 which seems high for a $4300ish msrp of 2018. If it's a 2015 which I believe it is I think it's way overpriced despite being new or barely ridden but that's me.

I've been out of the hobby for ten years. I also am not sure if covid is playing havoc with used prices as it has with new prices.

It is my frame size and it's rim brakes which is a benefit for me and not a negative.

I''m looking to be fair and don't want to insult or low-ball anyone but also have no need or desire or desperation to over pay as if I'm patient I'm sure there will be plenty of used inventory in the next year or so as people get out of the sport post covid.

I'm currently riding a 1989 bianchi giro with campy Athena components and downtube shifters so I'm looking for something in the $800-$2000 range to upgrade to as I miss brifters and would like cleaner shifting.

I personally feel $1800 would be a generous offer and probably over paying to be honest but maybe I'm way out of touch as I never have purchased any modern carbon bikes before l, especially anything close to being equipped with dura ace.

Any thoughts? I looked at recent sold ebay listings and everything seems to be a bit newer but trimmed at sl6 levels meaning Ultegra going to $2500-3000 which seems crazy to me. Again, has covid affected the used bike market as hard as it has video cards?

Last edited by sayn3ver; 07-22-21 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added more information to title.