View Single Post
Old 07-25-21, 04:14 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
I've found that if it doesn't have index shifting or if it has drop bars and narrow tires, 99.9% of the buying public doesn't want it. Back when I had a guy bringing me bikes of interest he would also give me any cheap bike that needed a little work. He'd buy a truckload of bikes at auctions for next to nothing, pull out the box store bikes that didn't need work and bring the rest to me to see if there was anything I wanted. I got a few real gems that way and quite a few cheapies that I could fix easily and flip. I could sell WalMart MTB's and cruisers about as fast as I could get them done and actually make some money on them. C & V stuff? IF I could sell it I usually barely broke even. I sold a few last year and got fair money out of them but earlier this year I tried selling a REALLY nice '86 Fuji Del Rey and a 1990 Diamondback Interval with full Champion No. 2 tubing that had been ugraded to 3 X 7 with brifters and I started the pricing below what I had in them because I wanted the room in my garage for better stuff. I dropped the prices twice on each one until I was at half of my initial asking price. Not a nibble on either one of them, not even any lowball offers. I finally pulled them and they'll go back on the hooks for now. Since then I have been watching a couple other nice road bikes go through the same thing and they've been on for weeks with the prices slashed well below what they would have sold for a couple years ago. The C&V market here is absolutely in the toilet. great time to buy but if you need to sell one to raise the funds for the new project or make room you may be SOL.