View Single Post
Old 09-13-21, 09:52 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Gravel Tire 2.0-2.2

I am taking delivery shortly of a custom gravel bike. It will have an Astral Outback alloy wheelset with White Industry CLD hubs, 32/36 spokes. I am 6'4"/250. It will do road, gravel, rail trails, 2 track, and probably occasionally some single track. And some bike touring. Will not be using it as a mountain bike. I have a Waterford ST bike that I now have 700x28's on, and have had 38's on. So I have something I can primarily take on the road, if that will be the totality of that ride. Although I am real anxious to start riding the new one, road or otherwise.

My question is, is there much difference between 29x2.0 and 29x2.2? I am a Schwalbe fan, but also thinking the RH Fleecer Ridge, which is a 2.2 tire. 2.3 will be the max tire for the bike, and it looks like 2.2 is the max for the Outback rim. I am leaning towards the RH FR, but am wondering if that is getting to be too big a tire, for standard gravel grinding. Also considering an extra wheelset at some point to make the question moot. Thank you.