Old 09-19-21, 01:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I guess that's what you get with steeper fork angle that gives these modern bikes more responsive handling.
I suppose it doesn't tend to cause some frequent, frightening accidents, otherwise one would hear about this issue more often. I suppose it can lay you on the ground sideways, same as if you didn't unclip when stopping. But probably mostly it is just a 'hit' that you recover from most times and also get used to anticipating it.
My first real racing bike (Helyett track bike with Reynolds 531 tubing and sew-up tires) had toe overlap, and that was in 1964. Almost every bike I've owned since then has had toe overlap, so it's by no means a modern development.

The reason you don't hear about "frightening accidents" with toe overlap is that you can't hit the front wheel with your foot at anything above walking speed. Above about 5 mph, you turn by leaning, not steering. You couldn't hit the front wheel with your foot even if you tried to.

So don't worry about it. You'll soon get used to ratcheting your pedals back to keep them away from the front wheel during low-speed maneuvers. And those of us who ride track bikes around quickly learn to time low-speed turns so that the pedal stays away from the front wheel.