View Single Post
Old 10-24-21, 04:27 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bwebel
Rotor makes some 12 speed cassettes. I have an 11x36 to use with a similar SRAM setup, but haven't gotten it built up yet. They also have 11x39 and 11x46. The cassettes aren't cheap, but would be a direct drop in to your current system to see if it worked.
This inspired me to finally get the build quasi-finished. It's Red Etap cable shifters/Force long cage derailleur/Rotor 11x36 cassette, KMC chain. Cranks are old Mavic with FSA 53x39 10 spd rings, front derailleur is Campy cable driven off of a bar end shifter. I have a wireless front derailleur, but couldn't find the battery for it, so left it in the box. Initial build had a lot of noise in the lowest 6 cogs, with the largest ones being fine, so I mostly kept in in those cogs for the whole first ride. Once I actually read the manual and figured out how to micro adjust, it is fine in all the cogs on the stand, though have yet to ride it. Maybe not the quietest running setup, but there isn't any lube on the chain other than what the new chain has on it, so I imagine that will help.
I've been resistant to electronic shifting on general retrogrouch grounds, but I will say the ease of shifting out of the saddle going up steep grades was nice compared to a cable setup, and the range on the 11x36 is pretty impressive, while still having pretty close gaps. I know the derailleur is only rated for 36t, but was thinking if maybe the 39 would work as well. Of course, given the cost of the cassette, I may not be in that much of a hurry to find out.