Old 08-09-22, 07:40 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Size vs. Strength NooB wheel Question

So, I had this old 26er that I was riding around for years, Hardrock. Super low-level bike that I bought used. But hen, my kid needed a bie so I went down to the local bike shop and got him a Marlin5. We went riding and I thought to myself "there is no way that he is so much better than me"! So I was all like, "let me try that bike". And I did. And the exact trails that I rode on the hard rock only moments before that had me struggling over the rocky and rooted New England Trails were SO MUCH easier on the 29er.I rode it a few other times when he wasn't around on what I imagine are "easy" local trails around here and it was so much better than the 26 inch wheeled bike.

So now I'm in the market for a new hard tail mountain bike. There is only one qualification for this new bike: It MUSY be equipped with a RockShox fork (always wanted one could never afford one). So, I'm looking at the high end of the 100mm, entry level cross country bikes. Which are pretty darn close to the low end of the 130mm "Trail" bikes. It would be pretty easy jump except most of those bikes are 27.5 and that's pretty close to the 26 that I have always struggles with on the local terrain that the 29er just rolled over.

One other consideration is that I'm a Big Boi. At 220 lbs, am I less likely to bend or break a 27.5 than a 29 of is that even a real consideration?

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP