Old 03-06-23, 11:04 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I would like to see pro bicycle racing limit the technology on racing bikes , and how light they could be, so that it would be a sure thing that it is the rider winning the race, and also so that you could go to a local bike shop and buy what a pro is racing because it would not have any computers or electrics or carbon-fiber, those things would be banned. It would be a steel tube framed bike with mechanical shifting and traditional wire-spoke wheels. No titanium or any other unobtanium allowed, just steel and alumunum and brass and other traditional materials. And the tubes and components could only be round in cross section, no airfoil shapes anywhere. Rims have to be square or rectangular cross section and all the wheels need 36 spokes. Also limit the speeds and number of sprockets and cogs, let's get back to ten speeds with five in the back and two in the front, that is more than enough for any young pro, and all us old guys too.

Well, it would at least be interesting to see races with teams using those kinds of retro bikes. I guess it would depend on who's sanctioning or promoting the race, though I'm not familiar with the USAC rulebook (note; I STILL read that as United States Auto Club...), and I can't see the UCI going in that direction. So for the pros, that seems unlikely. At the local level, I suspect that certain clubs or promoters (and at least some of the other racers) would take a dim view of mixing retro tech machines with modern ones. For example, I mentioned earlier that my bikes are homages to the old British club bikes with a three speed IGH. Even though such bikes were used in racing and fast group rides from the 30s to the early 50s, I suspect I would be told quite forcefully to stay away or get a different bike if I were to try using mine that way. Hence, fascinating as I find the idea of racing; and as much as I watch videos and read race reports; and as much as I learn about training from the 33 and the 41 and elsewhere, I don't race and ride solo only.

All that said, hubcyclist has demonstrated that if you have the fitness, you don't need the bleeding edge latest and greatest tech to race and race well. Given sufficient fitness, certainly pro level fitness, it stands to reason that racers on bikes like you describe could be competitive.