Old 04-24-23, 09:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I have been thinking about Coggan V San Millan. Coggan provides all his magic in his books and he is not a coach but highly educated and a successful cyclist. Coggan does not have to "coach" anyone and live the the results of his coached athletes.

San Millan is a coach and highly educated with some success as a cyclist. And of course, he has the success of the UAE pro team. San Millan has not provided much of his magic or secret sauce, if he has any. Doing a lot of distance cycling is required for long road races and stage races. Training right below LT 1 is a meh for me. So what, but the idea that excursions above LT 1 inhibit mitochondria training is interesting.

So I do not see much secret sauce coming out of San Millan's interviews and quite frankly why should he discuss what really makes his athletes fast with lots of endurance. I would like to know what they do at the high end and very high end - shorter duration efforts, frequency and diet. Tadej Pogačar is literally dropping the pro peloton (until he broke his wrist). What is that all about? He is good at everything. IMO, it is not long miles at z2.

I would take San Millan as a coach over Coggan. Why not. He has the success.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-24-23 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For Hermes: