Old 08-07-22, 10:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Would you suggest helmet mount over a handlebar mounted ?
How does it attach to helmet? Universal mount?
For me, it will always be a helmet mirror. It's a better mirror than I have in my car. (Yes, I do have better visibility in the car but it takes all three mirrors to get there.) Personally, things fastened to my handlebars and sticking out scare me. Anything that hits it or that I hit with it will affect my steering and probably cause a crash. Also they do not take kindly to bikes falling over (and being weight mounted on the handlebars, might add to the bike falling over when parked less than perfectly).

I do have a pet peeve re: helmet mirrors. The helmet manufacturers and mirror people can't just sit down and come up with a standard so all helmets have the mount provided and any mirror can just go on. Isn't that simply a no-brainer? I've gotten around this by making my own brackets that screw on with very small screws. I use the 3rd Eye short helmet mirrors and mount them on the visor. Works extremely well. I make them by forming thin aluminum sheet (I have an endless supply left over from a garden project) to fit the curvature of the helmet, then extending down and bent out at the bottom as a shelf. Fiberglass both sides with cloth and epoxy. Drill for the screws. Paint. Outlasts helmets. In fact, outlasts helmet runs. Places the mirror exactly where I want it.

Production plastic, my mirrors might cost 50 cents to make. Helmet manufacturers would have to provide some almost tiny holes. And we cyclists could have really good mirrors that go easily from helmet to helmet.
Likes For 79pmooney: