View Single Post
Old 03-01-21, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2908 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,394 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
What sort of preferences in historical fiction appeal to you?

The Liss book has been a bit disappointing so far.

Rising Man is a detective/political intrigue mystery. It's an interwar book (set after WW1). That's an entire area of literature with good books like Testament of Youth, Brideshead Revisited, The Great Gatsby, The Sun also Rises.
https://www.britannica.com/art/Engli...nterwar-period

I am hoping Rising Man gets better as we get deeper into the mystery. It's already improved over the formulaic beginning.

If you haven't read Killer Angels, that's my fave. A good book to read after that is Gone for Soldiers.

In the Garden of Beasts by Larson is set in the first couple years of the rise of the nazis. It's really good.
I do go for war stuff typically Napoleonic to WW2 but truthfully I don't read many books these days. I also love music related stuff.

I haven't read Killer Angels yet but have seen Gettysburg more than enough times. It is on the list of books I do want to read and probably in the house somewhere.