Old 09-03-21, 03:55 AM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
UPDATE:

got it working, I attached to the head tube in the end - I realised that in order for the basket to clear the surfboard the surfboard would have to be so low that I ...couldn't really turn right (I didn't realise this for ages because I was working on the bike with it leaned up against a wall, at an angle....duh, schoolboy error....)

I angled the board slightly so it's closer in at the back and a little further out at the front, which gives me plenty of room for steering - I just have to remember that I don't have full steering range when doing slow maneuvering, at normal traveling speed it's not an issue.

I took the rubber covers off and used the tightening screw on the rack mounts because my boards are on the heavier side, not great for the paint (on a brand new bike!) but it's a utility bike so I'm happy with that. Also anti-seize...

All in all it works great, the pack rat is a fun speedy ride that now also carries my surfboard (wetsuit etc go in the front basket). And the moved-by-bike rack detaches in seconds so is very convenient to pop on and off. Perfect!