Old 07-14-17, 11:07 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbnomore
So I'm on the precipice of picking up a Gunnar Roadie, but I like Mike's frames quite a bit. Why do you say you prefer it over the Gunnar?
I like the paint quality better on the BMC bikes, my Gunnar flaked and chipped easily. I like that the BMC frames have the ED internal coating making them much less resistant to rust. The geometry of BMC's road frame suits me really well. Definitely an all day, every day type ride. My BMC feels better on the ride to me than my Gunnar did. Not sure if its choice of steel or geometry or which combination, but it just feels better. And that's a big part of it.

The last reason is a little silly, the BMC "sounds" like steel. If you strike your fingernails on the top tube of the BMC, you get that familiar steel ring noise that is sort of ubiquitous in 4130-based tubesets. The Gunnar didn't have that for some reason that I still don't understand. Really minor thing, but I like the rare occasion on a ride when a cable slaps against a tube and makes that signature steel ping sound when riding. Silly I know, but it factors in for me.

Plus I like Mike's style as well. One man brand sort of deal is cool, I think.