View Single Post
Old 05-10-18, 12:30 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
The Build

From the outset, this thing was getting ALL the speed parts. And that means Dura-Ace as I had 'spare' pieces and dang it, it's common enough to get for a good price, and it's just really good stuff. I'd planned to go black on the stem and seat post--it was going to look fierce.

The frame was fully disassembled, cleaned, and waxed. There is nary a scratch on it. Staggering.

Dura-Ace 7900 STI levers for the controls. The 7900 lever bodies are longer on top due to being elevated for cables that run out the back of them. This allows the STIs to be mounted like Campagnolo Ergos i.e. on classic drop bars that still allow full hand support/comfort. Black Profile Design bars and Modolo stem complete the cockpit.

Tire clearances with 26mm Kenda Kontenders.

Even the lock ring is black!

Friendly 7700-era Dura-Ace crankset. One of my usual suspects, along with 7800 FDs and RDs. The chainring combo was 53/42T to begin with because I had to source a shiny 39T, which I did once it was initially built.

Old mountain bike parts still on it, STIs "drooling" their cables. Saddle way too high and at an off angle. It's all a bit rough, but the point was to get an idea of the composition I had envisioned. All signs were positive.