View Single Post
Old 05-10-18, 01:13 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Long Ride on the "Introduction Tour" - Plus Exterior Shots

As with most builds, once the maiden voyage is complete, I'll take it to a local bike shop or two where I know most of the people there (and we all like to talk bikes). Hang out, talk shop, talk the bike build, see what cool used parts are in, all of it. So I had done that, with the intention of driving home, getting in my car, and driving south about 11 miles to pick up a bike part off Craigslist. This was a 70° or so day about a month ago, a total temperature spike amidst days in the 50s. Perfect weather. The Prologue was running really well. So well, in fact, that I thought, hey, I'll just ride down there. A car in traffic won't be faster (and going home means going up a super steep hill, then changing, then walking five blocks to my car) and I can get to the guy in the time I said.

The Prologue flies. Its geometry matches that of the Paramount of the same time, save for 5mm extra fork rake. 73° HT, 74° ST, 58.0cm top tube (for a 63.5cm CTT frame). Trail comes to a calculated 56mm versus the Paramount's 61/62cm.

It becomes immediately apparent that it is the "gap bridger" between the rest of my steel and my alu frame/carbon fork '16 Trek Emonda (super light weight) with regards to eagerness to accelerate, climb, rock back and forth, and request that I go up short steep hills for no reason. My Emonda does this almost constantly, which is a lot of fun. The Prologue has that spirit. The Emonda also sports 56mm of trail, so the comparison ends up being a bit more apples to apples than one would think. Sharp, easy, on-point steering for both of them.

At any rate, I check the maps app on my phone to get a couple of crucial turns memorized and set off from University District, across the canal to Lake Union, through downtown Seattle, dropping to the shoreline and the piers, on my way south to West Seattle. Once out of downtown, the roads and pathways open up. No more frequent stop lights! It is a revelation to just put in uninterrupted distance. City commuting with a zillion stops and starts is not something my knees like. I'm on the knee warmer train for anything below 70° now, and it is paying dividends.

I missed a couple of turns, one of which ended up greatly simplifying the final third of my route, at the expense of a 16% grade for two blocks or so. Pulled it in a 42-27T low, but man, those miles of running hard on just one street felt so good! Even a long 1/4 mile hill of decent grade was easily dispatched quickly--out of the saddle, in the big ring, pacing the power inputs. I arrived at my destination on time and talked with the guy a bit. And since I was in the neighborhood enough, I texted @Dfrost to see if he'd like to see it and ended up doing so. But, you know, not after a few more blocks of mega steep climbing...

The Prologue is an absolutely stellar bike. Properly constructed by Panasonic (to Schwinn's specs) in Japan. Thin wall Tange Prestige tubing, excellent Schwinn paint, lovely details. It's got performance pedigree, even if it isn't Italian in any way. The newer Dura-Ace pieces and light Vuelta wheels allow the true nature of the frame to be brought forth and witnessed. And what a frame! Sure, in the saddle, it will be very good like all good bikes. It descends well and handles turns well. But it's when you get on the gas is when it shows you what it's really about. It works with you when out of the saddle, not against. It helps that the rims are light and that the folding Kenda tires have supple sidewalls. Everything works together to work with the rider, but the frame is crucial in this whole system. Really, a lot of fun!

Paramount water bottle cage. IMO, this bike/frame is certainly worthy of the association. Heck, if this was a Paramount (or labeled one, rather), it would be more than fitting. It's that good.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel: