View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 03:00 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Aligning the dropouts and derailleur hanger is always my first step in setting up a bike. I have the tools, which makes it easy, but it's pretty easy to improvise a hanger tool from a spare axle as shown above. The basic idea of doing this is that you rotate the tool around, and use the distance to the rear rim as a reference. If there is more space between the tool and the rim at the top then the bottom, push the arm in when it's at the top to even the distance. Same thing if there is more difference in the front vs rear when the arm is horizontal.

FYI you can get even lazier and simply use a wheel with the tire removed. Just compare the distance at various points around the rim. Even this will work 100x better than eyeballing it with a crescent wrench. IMO.

Pretty hilarious that shops are charging 75 bux nowadays. Shops I worked in did it automatically as part of yer basic $35 tuneup, or whatever it cost BITD. Took 43 seconds.
Likes For Salamandrine: