Old 12-09-19, 07:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
My first road tubeless were 25s, some top of the line Gavias. Great tires that rode wonderfully, though my frame of reference at the time was 23/25mm tubed tires.

Then I tried 30mm tires (Schwalbe G-One Speed) - suuuuper awesome for a bigger guy like me (~200lb at the time). Being able to run them at 70psi was a game-changer - long rides were much less fatiguing and they rolled really, really well; a magic carpet ride on so-so roads. I'd been so happy with them that I stuck with them exclusively for a few years and told myself that I wouldn't buy another bike unless the frame could clear them.

This year, I tried some 28mm Hutchison Fusion 5 Performance 11-Storm. My weight is down, so I've been able to run them at the same ~70psi, too. Not quite as cush as the G-One Speeds, even at the same pressure. They seem to roll about the same, though they feel notably more nimble (I don't know if it's a slight change in trail with the slightly smaller diameter or the lower weight, but it's certainly there).

On spirited group rides, neither has been a hindrance, neither in a straight line nor when thrashing out of the saddle (in a pinch, I have taken some 35/38mm tires out with the group and they were a *lot* more work). Solo, they're both definitely beneficial (faster) over longer rides (3+ hours) just because I'm fresher and less beat up. On shorter rides, I'm doubtful that any penalty (aero, weight, etc) would be statistically significant.

No desire to go back to 25s.