Old 10-29-21, 02:57 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The latch being open as you found it means it could be busted (it looks a bit messed up). You could try just wedging the ribbon in there without using the latch.. put a small piece of plastic on the non-lead side of the ribbon (e.g. Scotch tape) and shove it in. If too loose add another small sheet of plastic. Repeat until you have a good purely friction fit, not so good that the ribbon is not going all the way in though. There could also be some junk inside the female end, might be worth trying to clean it out.
the flex does feel reasonable secure when the latch is in the down position.
I did inspect the female end of the connector yesterday(?) and it looked good. I could see the clamp mechanism work as the latch was lowered. Overall, it gave the impression of being in good condition.

I may hook up a power supply to the clips that mate with the battery and see if I can power it and poke around the flex strip and how it connects to the display and to the connector on the board. This doesn't have much prospect for ways to fix it, and I have other stuff to do, so don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Steve in Peoria