Old 01-18-22, 01:30 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Okay, I didn't read the OP, but reverse splits are the way to go. Don't go out at your max watts.

I'm sure a power meter and some analysis software would help
I had to go look up what a reverse split was, but I see what you mean.

In terms of data, unfortunately Strava is no longer showing instantaneous speed and I have some doubts about GPS derived speed anyway.

Something I have toyed with doing is making a custom cycle computer, and one that would actually record the timing of every rotation of the wheel (which on the uni is also literally cadence, or on the bike record that too). Those plots would be interesting especially if I could reconnect them back to the grade of the hill. Stuff to think about.

I guess I could also take the raw tcx files and do my own smoothing and pacing analysis of them, in particular that would let me plot various attempts on the same graph.

And yes, I went and used streetview to figure out that the segment starts at the brook and ends at the shared mailboxes ;-)

Looks like my best time so far would correspond to an average of a 100 rpm on the bike, or 72 on the uni. Cruising pace on flat terrain for the uni is about 100-110, but into pretty much nothing as far as resistance. Of course I could use a taller gear on the bike, figuring out the one that would give the same gear inches is something I've contemplated, but seated position and crank length will make it a different feel.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-18-22 at 01:43 PM.