View Single Post
Old 02-02-23, 05:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
IMO, a significant factor is what the person expects out of the bike, and how they're going to use it. I could ride a $600 MTB on all the same roads and trails as I ride my current XX1/XTR-equipped hardtail. I would go slower, I might need to walk it more, and the parts would probably need to be replaced a lot sooner, but I could make it work. I don't really want to, but I could. If I stuck to milder off-road demands, and wasn't interested in performance improvements, it might be adequate for a little longer.

Personally, if $600 was the absolute limit of what I had to spend, I'd be looking at the used market. You're going to get a better bang for your buck, and might even find something that hits way above the price.
On the road I would just stick with a hybrid and I can spend the same amount and get a little more out of that bike generally not great but for occasional riding fine.

For that price yes I would look at more used options but you do want to be careful and know what you are doing on that front as you can get screwed if not knowledgeable.

Originally Posted by GTBecane
absolutely, I rode more then enough before my hiatus (kids, time), to recognize this. Now my boys are grown enough to enjoy it, that was my driving force to get back in.

But having to buy 3 bikes up front, and recognizing that it may not stick as a hobby, limited the budget to what it is. That being said, there’s not a trail within 50 miles of me (eastern PA) that the GT didn't and the MB won’t do fine on, as skill/confidence, comes from the rider, not the bike. Sure it’s probably easier on $4k full squish, but it never stopped me before.

my only point in my first post on this thread was that the OP could find a usable bike, new, close to his budget to try it out. (But then VB and the other showed up and it devolved into purse swinging, lol)
Again your 1998 GT is a $1400 in today's money (2023). Stop it! If you are going to go on about the GT then realize it is not a $600 bike in today's money. If you had a $330 bike from 1998 maybe you might have a bit more of a point (ish). Nobody is purse swinging here I am being realistic based on component quality. Not just going to the clouds and saying the absolute bottom end of components is good quality.