View Single Post
Old 04-29-23, 10:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Alllrighty - I'm jumping into this instead of starting a new thread.

Qualifiers - I'm a roadie/gravel guy that isn't into high end stuff. 105 road, basic bottom end Sram on the gravel.

I just want a MTB that I can ride with my son from time to time. Trails, single track, gravel. I will not be jumping much, no drop ins or table tops - just want to ride with my son.

He's on a new Marlin 5 - good intermediate bike while he is getting ready for his growth spurt...

I'm looking at the Marlin 5 as well. Pretty decent sale going on right now.

Shimano Atlus, hydraulic disc, SR Suntour XCT 30 fork... $600 right now. Marked down from $730.

I'm thinking this bike will be good enough for my needs?
I would not put money towards that bike. It is near or at bottom end components (depending which year Marlin 5) and while the price is lowered the bike is not one I would want for any actual mountain biking (and no that doesn't have to include drops and tricks and yada yada yada) If you are stuck on buying the Trek logo and the Marlin line I would look at the 8. It is the first in the series to get a proper mountain bike fork with air instead of cheap coil springs and you get 12 speed drivetrain (albeit bottom end SRAM) and has the old school combination of SRAM drivetrain with Shimano brakes in this case hydraulics. That is all good because it is a decent candidate for upgrades as needed warranted and is more compatible with modern components so it is easier to get replacements when stuff wears out.

If not stuck on the Trek name then I would look at the Rockhopper Expert which is on sale for $999 and is a similar build but swapping Shimano brakes with SRAM which maybe not my thing but the SRAM brakes of today are actually pretty good minus their use of DOT fluid but if you are doing the maintenance you don't need to worry.