Old 05-02-22, 07:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
If there's a better place to post this question let me know, but what's the best plug for road tubeless? I was on a brevet last weekend with a guy running 25mm road tubeless. He got a puncture that we eventually fixed with a stans dart, but we had a heckuva time getting it in there, broke the first one trying. I could fit a 4mm allen in the puncture, so the hole seemed big enough, but getting that dart in there was definitely a two man job. He never would have gotten it in there if he was by himself.
Stan's Darts seem big and more MTB focused, to me - I'm not surprised that they were tough to jam in.

A lot of people swear by the brass-tipped Dynaplugs; I've never used them myself, but I intend to pick some up this year.

I've only used the typical "bacon strips", but those might not want to stay put on a 25mm, assuming high-ish pressure. What I've done with bacon strips that worm out, because of the combination of puncture size and pressure, is to tie the strip in a knot and shove it in so that the knot is inside the carcass, helping to hold it in place. It can take a little elbow grease but, the only two times that I've had to do this, each lasted 2k+ miles/the remaining life of the tire.