Old 08-30-16, 04:17 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Maybe not as grand as some of the senic views presented in this thread, but sometimes I take great interest in the smaller things. I had biked down this roads many times before. It is in Arkansas on highway 71 South of Fayetteville. It is on an old section of 2 lane road that was left after they put the newer 4 lane superslab in. This little side road also has a wonderful bridge dated 1930.

I stopped and took a break and looked down at my feet and saw this. That concrete looks to be in pretty good shape for being 85 years old. Look how well the letters are formed. I love to find things like this as I travel; really gets me day dreaming. I can just picture someone kneeling down and creating those letters.

The last pic is from Google Earth that shows the old cutoff road with the location (about) of the inscription. Also a nice church and old cemetery right there at the bridge. You miss all this stuff on the superslab.

Looks like Wikipedia has a page about this section of road and it is also on the National Register of Historic Places:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_U....and,_Arkansas)
Very cool info. Every ride is a grand adventure wherever I may be.