Old 05-01-21, 04:56 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
We can easily fit TWO bikes in our HONDA FIT configured as a two seater WITHOUT removing wheels.

Here is how:
Place the first bicycle in the FIT normally ( roll it in front wheel first, sideways obviously and drive side up-obviously...then turn handlebars sideways so that the front wheel points straight up so that the front wheel is approx parallel to the PASSENGER SEATBACK).

Place the second bicycle in side the FIT, REARWHEEL FIRST, then it will be super-easy to turn the handlebars so that the Front Wheel clears the curve-ature of the hatchgate and rear window glass.

This process takes us maybe 25 seconds. I can do it solo in less than a minute, about 45 seconds.... We have been doing this with our FIT for more than 13 years. It is a 2008 base model 5 speed. Great car for it's size and space utilization.

We use the flat side of a corrugated cardboard Television box to line the cargo area floor. (an ex-TV box, or an ex-Refridgerator box, or an ex-Bicycle box should do fine if cut to fit)
We use the dense sturdy approx 3/4" styrofoam like packing that came as protective packing materials in the last large screen Television that we bought to protect the SEAT BACKS OF THE HONDA FIT from the wheels/tires/handlebars-brake lever OF the bicycles.
We use an old sleeping bag that I drape over the rear bumper and hatch opening as I am Loading In the bikes --OR--- when I am Unloading the bikes.
You won't scratch or nick the bumper paint. You likely won't be lifting 41 pound, large twenty-four inch frames, ancient SCHWINN SUBURBANS with full fenders, etc and 27 inch(32-630mm) tires.
The Old Sleeping bag serves as additional padding to protect the bikes and other items that you might be transporting in the rear hatch of the FIT. Earlier before deciding the old sleeping bag provided the best all-around utility for this purpose, we did use rug-remnants, our back porch doormat, the dog's blanket, the dog's towel, and whatever...
I've loaded all sorts of bicycles in the FIT, so it isn't only heavy large wheelbase electroforged "lightweight" ancient Schwinns. My 2008 FIT has transported two tri competition bikes to more than fifteen triathlon events from Florida to Virginia and from South Carolina to Texas since I bought it new from Stokes-Honda North Charleston.
I'm just saying if the 24 inch frame SUBURBANS fit easily with fenders, etc, than you shouldn't have any problems with any road bike unless you're the size and height of an NBA forward or center with a really large bicycle. You also likely will have great difficulty fitting a tri race bike fitted with extended tri bars in the rear of a HONDA FIT due to the extreme length of some said "center rest" tri bars. With any normal road bikes, or hybrid bikes, or ancient 3 speed lightweight tourist style bikes, then the HONDA FIT will easily accomodate two bikes in the rear hatch with the magic seats folded flat, and just two seater configuration. HONDA FITS are dirt cheap inexpensive but rugged and bullet-proof with timing chain ~ life of the car (250k-270k miles) , so no timing belt that needs replacement and no need to worry whether engine is interference or not (Timing Belt breaks before replacing it, well interference means internal components collide effectively destroying engine and not means not a catastrophic event to repair..), Although Honda has discontinued them from the North American market, there are a great many FITS from 2007 to about 2019 in the US today. They were 100% Japanese and date back to original introduction in Japan as 2002 model which essentially was the same as the first generation North American 2007 and 2008 model. Honda engineers essentially took the original '74 GOLF/1975 Rabbit size specs and made maximum ultilty and durabilty the goal, just as Toyota once did a decade after the Rabbit with the '84 & '85 Tercel hatchback. The JAZZ - FIT took it beyond even what the mid eighties Tercel provided with space utilization and durability. JAZZ is what the Honda FIT has been known in other world markets since the beginning introduction of the 1st generation as 2002 model. The USA did not see the introduction of the 1st generation FIT until the 2007 model year. .....Probably the best inexpensive small hatchback that has ever been made to date,... certainly in my opinion............yeah, it is fairly spartan compared to some others that offer leather seating and sunroofs but it does carry the goods unlike anything else in its size class or price range.